Missing you, missing plane

March 21, 2014 at 9:21 pm 5 comments

Everyone who knows us is fully aware of Scott’s interest in aviation. Before friends book flights they ask him which seat is safest on a 747 and what terminal their flight will depart from and whether or not a person can really get sucked out of those small airplane windows. Besides being a frequent flyer himself, Scott is just extremely interested in air travel. He is the human version of SeatGuru. He spends hours reading aviation forums and nights tracking flights online. I’m sure he’s on some sort of watch list.

His enthusiasm can be annoying at times. We can be mid conversation and he will see a plane in the sky and I have lost him until the plane is totally out of sight. On flights he talks me through take-off and landing. He gets upset if I don’t look out the window at whatever he is pointing to. On United, he requests that I join him in listening to channel 9  (live air traffic control) if it’s available. When he logs hours for his private pilot’s license, he likes when I go along even though I can only watch from the ground below and I normally spend the time painting my nails. We have to see every movie that involves an airplane. At home we watch terrifying documentaries about air disasters that always end in Scott telling me I am far more likely to get hit by a car tomorrow on my way to work than die in a plane crash. A thought that doesn’t exactly calm me. Two weeks ago, we very nearly booked a vacation destination solely because there is a Concorde on display at the local airport.

Joking aside, I like that he has interests and I’d rather him stare at a flight tracker on his computer than hog the TV with endless hours of football or golf. Although he has been working towards a private pilot’s license, his dream is to fly airliners and it breaks my heart that he may never do that. So, I really do try to be interested. I guess the type of aircraft when he quizzes me as it flies above our heads (and I like the look of pride on his face when I guess correctly). I nod and hmm-mm when he leans over in the cinema to tell me they showed footage of a plane that wasn’t around in the era the movie is set in. I smile, unsurprised, when I ask him which famous people–dead or alive–he’d choose to have dinner with and he answers without missing a beat–BA Concorde pilot Mike Bannister.

I say all this to paint a picture for you. The man loves planes and loves talking about planes. For the first time ever I want to talk planes and he isn’t here.

With Scott on a business trip, the time difference has made any sort of meaningful conversation very difficult. Also he spent his free day doing a mile run in the US to ensure he gets gold on British Airways. While he was flying first class cross-country and eating the best cookie* he’s ever had,  I was reading conspiracy theories and analyzing Google Earth as if I really knew what I was looking for.

*If the missing plane had the most mentions this week when we did talk, this cookie came a close second. Apparently they are baked on board American Airlines. I’m not threatened. (Must find recipe.)

This missing Malaysian plane has completely captivated me. I lose hours on airline forums. I’ve watched all the special news programs about the mystery plane. I’m basically turning into Scott.

I can’t stop thinking about it. Where is this plane?! Coworkers have actually left the lunch table early because I can’t stop discussing it. I reached out to old classmates who, based on their Facebook feeds, seem to be as interested as me. Only one replied.

Thank goodness Scott comes home tomorrow.

flighttracker

Meet you on the sofa. I’ll bring cookies.

Entry filed under: life. Tags: , .

First impressions are everything (unless you’re British) Stop to save the snails

• 1. andrea  |  March 21, 2014 at 11:59 pm

I am fascinated as well. Every morning I wake up and ask Lee if they have found the plane yet. It is unfathomable to me that it is just gone.

(and tell Scott my parents flew the Concorde twice and both found it loud and uncomfortable!)

• 2. Scott  |  March 22, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Concorde (no “the”), along with one or two other achievements, is the pinacle of human endeavour. The perfect fusion of form and function and the most beautiful machine man has ever made. Sitting atop 4 turbojets producing the raw power to send champagne-sipping, lounge suit-wearing ordinary human beings to a speed faster than a rifle bullet is gonna be a bit loud. To me, that’s the thrill…bet Neil Armstrong, strapped to the top of Saturn V didn’t think about it being loud and uncomfortable. I envy everyone who ever got a chance to fly on Concorde and I miss the days when jet planes used to make proper noise.

• 3. Wendy  |  March 27, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I feel privileged to have flown on Concorde back in 1986 on a return trip from Barbados. The flight out on a jumbo took around 7 hours, whereas we were home in just over 2. It was a magical experience, and one I’ll never forget.

Saddo hoarder that I am, I still have the information pack we were given, model of the aircraft and certificate signed by the pilot. I also kept the champagne glass and port glass etched with a “C”.

With just 25 rows of 2 and 2 seats (no row 13!), I was able to see the sky through the cockpit as we took off. I seem to recall there was a display indicting when we hit Mach 2.

• 4. Heather  |  March 23, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I can vouch for those first/business class cookies on American. I’ve had them many times. They really are that amazing. I can’t understand it. I can’t explain it. It’s what I get most excited about when I book an upper class ticket with AA. And every time I fly AA in coach, all I can think about is those f-ers up front getting the cookies (and the warmed nuts pre-meal snack).

• 5. Eva  |  May 14, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Your husband sounds like mine. He is always watching the sky. My husbands parents were air traffic controllers in the Air Force and I think it gave him his love of flying. He’s not a commercial pilot but got his private license last year. Having it has changed our lives. It’s an amazing privilege to fly. Good luck to your husband getting his license.