Drop it like a squat

May 28, 2014 at 5:15 pm 5 comments

I’ve done it while brushing my teeth, on the bath mat straight after getting out of the shower, before blow drying my hair, after blow drying my hair, in the bedroom, in the guest bedroom, in the living room, in the kitchen, at a friend’s house, at the bar, in a restaurant, at my desk, in the office, on a train, and in more public bathrooms than I can count.

As the days go by, it’s getting harder to fit it in so anywhere I can do it, I do.

I’m on Day 15 of a 30 day challenge – a combination of ab exercises and squats. So many squats. How can I fit them all in? And it’s only Day 15! It’s getting to the point where I walk into a room, a building, a restaurant and think, Could I squat here? Where’s the nearest spot to fit in 10 squats?

So far, I have been able to tick off the ab exercises in the morning before heading to work. I keep the evil plank for night time. Mostly because I need to lay cheek to carpet, panting, for several minutes afterwards.

Besides the weekly boxing sessions, I have started and stopped several other exercise plans. This basically sums it up for me:

crappy-exercise-plan

If you are new to exercise, the 30 day challenge will hurt different body parts at different stages. My legs ached so much on Day 6, I struggled to get up from my desk chair. Somewhere around Day 4, I got rug burn on my elbow from the plank. It even bled a little.

Sore muscles and injuries aside, there really is something to be said (like a whole blog post!) about working up to your desired goal. A little bit more each day. Slow and steady and all that. I never thought I’d be able to do the plank for more than a minute and on Day 11 I was able to. Wow, listen to me! I’m so inspirational. (Check back with me on Day 30.)

(Scott is doing the challenge with me. Of course you can already see physical changes in him because he is a man and life is unfair.)

That’s what I’ve been up to lately. I see I am totally on trend with this exercise challenge because a similar 30 day program is popping up all over my Facebook newsfeed as my friends “join the event” which apparently begins 1 June.

By 1 June, I’ll be on Day 19 of my challenge and I’ll have to do 160 squats. But Day 20 is a rest day (for the squats) so at least I will have that to look forward to.

Entry filed under: life. Tags: , , .

British-English as a second language Things I would miss about living in England

• 1. Jessica {lovely jubbly london}  |  May 28, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I’ve been doing the 30 day squat challenge too. After 10 days, I basically decided I was super fit and should do squat jumps. My knee has let me know otherwise so my challenge may be over.

• 2. callatini  |  May 28, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Whoa, you’re brave! I was thinking if I survive this, I’ll try a push-up challenge next. I gotta be almost there considering a plank is almost a push-up :)

• 3. Mission: Possible | How to Play House  |  June 12, 2014 at 9:52 pm

[…] Monday evening, I noticed a tenderness in my arm. After that day’s exercise challenge and a boxing session, I ignored it, sure it would subside after a night of […]

• 4. yoga teachers make  |  August 23, 2014 at 2:37 am

Thanks for finally talking about >Drop it like a squat | How to Play House <Liked it!

• 5. JIGARTHANDA 2014 Tamil Watch Movie Online Free  |  August 27, 2014 at 4:29 am

Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done
    a marvellous job!