Things I would miss about living in England

May 30, 2014 at 5:24 pm 10 comments

As a list lover, this week’s writing challenge was a piece of cake. Mostly because I already had this list written. I keep lists of all sorts of things on my phone — Trips I Want to Take, Words I Should Use More Often, Movies to Watch, Names I Like, and Things I’d Buy If I Ever Move Back to the US.

things-I-would-miss-about-england

I have no plans to leave this island, but if I ever do, I am keeping a list of the things I would most definitely miss. People not included. It sometimes helps to read through it when I’m feeling homesick. A reminder of everything I’ve grown to love. (SPOILER: lots of food items. When people say the food isn’t good in England, they just don’t know what to eat.)

Things I would miss if I ever left England

Cheese as a dessert

Terms of endearment

Pubs & rounds

Yorkshire Pudding

British humour

Ordinary looking people on TV

Tea breaks

Public transportation

Sausage rolls

Black cabs & taxi drivers

Ocado

Red phone boxes & post boxes

The quality of fruit

Waitrose and M&S food hall

Heathrow Terminal 5

30+ different countries under three hours away

Sky TV

Channel 4 documentary style shows like Gogglebox and the Secret Life of Dogs and the Girl Who Became Three Boys

Electric kettle (you can get them in the US, but you need the next thing on the list for it to be truly amazing)

220 voltage (great for tea, toast and a very powerful hair dryer)

Sliced bread (better texture, better taste)

Cheese & onion crisps (especially Walker’s)

Maltesers & chocolate in general

All the paid vacation time

What else should I miss? What do you miss?

things-I-would-miss-about-living-in-England

Entry filed under: expat. Tags: , , , , .

Drop it like a squat Mission: Possible

• 1. Gina  |  May 30, 2014 at 5:40 pm

What? Wonder Bread and Whoppers aren’t good enough for you?!

• 2. Rik Williams  |  May 30, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Wait… Yanks don’t have cheese as pudding(!) and don’t buy rounds in pubs?!

• 3. callatini  |  May 30, 2014 at 5:45 pm

We sometimes have a cheese board as a starter!

• 4. andrea  |  May 30, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I think we have gained 5 lbs in the last 6 days eating chocolate. As soon as we land over here we go crazy with the chocolate. It is hands down so much better!

• 5. Leslie  |  May 30, 2014 at 7:03 pm

30+ countries in less than 3 hours. Jealous of that!!

• 6. MomMum-In-Law  |  May 31, 2014 at 11:28 am

The Royals-love them or hate them, the pageantry is fantastic!!! A stroll through Harrod’s food hall. Drivers who know how to merge properly. Queuing up.
    Just last night your dad lamented “I’ve never found anywhere that could make Fish and Chips like England.”

• […] How to Play House | Things I would miss about living in England […]

• […] How to Play HouseThings I would miss about living in England […]

• 9. River Garden | litadoolan  |  June 10, 2014 at 4:21 pm

[…] How to Play House Things I would miss about living in England […]

• 10. Sandra  |  July 17, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Loved reading this. I lived in London for a year 8 years ago as a single girl. Now I am heading back with my husband and 2 girls. Can’t wait. I missed all those things when I left the first time.